Monday, January 26, 2009

So we have a new Dog! Jarom thought it would be a good idea to bring a puppy home for the kids for christmas the kids have been in heaven on the other hand I'm not quiet there yet I have never been an animal lover but I'm trying really hard to give it a chance.  He is so cute he will only be around 4 pounds, not suppose to shed and they are really friendly.  If I can just get through the training process I think I will be in good shape, its a lot of patience and most days I'm ready to give up you have to stay on those little puppies all the time, I Think it would be easier if the kids didn't love him so much they just hold him all day long, its really cute they are always taking him to his matt and saying go potty go potty but that little pup just runs off so if you have any good tips please send them my way. The kids named him Milo I have to say it has been good for Avery she is so nurturing she thinks its her little baby and she has stopped getting Macoy out of his crib early in the morning she just gets her little puppy. 

5 comments:

Sommer said...

I hear the best easiest way to train is kennel train. Keep the dog in the kennel at all times (preferrably a really small kennel because they don't like to go potty in their areas). Every hour or two let them out and take them directly outside to go potty. You can give them little treats or words of encouragement when they do so they know they have done something right. After that, let the kids play with him for a half an hour or so, and put him right back in the kennel. I know this will be so hard for the kids because they will just want to play with him all day, but he needs to learn and get good habits and eventually (after a month or more) he will know! Also, the little dogs only need to eat 2 times a day. Morning and night. My vet told me to feed my dog in her kennel so it becomes her safe space that she likes. About 10 minutes after he eats, he will need to go out to the potty. Take the food away after that until his next feeding. Also, always take him out the same door to the same spot. That will help him because they like to go in the same places! Hope this helps.

Packer Family said...

Jill,
I am not an animal lover either and we have so many it is not even funny. I have heard that little dogs are harder to train:( We have had our little dog for over two years and she still messes in the house! My advice is to kennel train... I know it is had when you have little ones that want to hold him all the time. We just let our dog out every hour. I also keep her where I can see her because I know that if she is out of my sight she most likely is doing something bad. We have a little house so I can keep an I on her though. Good luck I feel your pain:)

Jeanine said...

Jill, you won't have to necessarily leave the puppy in his kennel all the time, but...every time that you take him out of the kennel, you should say something like "potty outside Milo!" Take him out or walk him directly outside anytime you take him out of his kennel. Watch him until he goes potty and when he's going, give him lots of praise! Something like: "Good job Milo!" "Potty outside, good Milo!" If he gets in the habit, and you always praise him for going, he'll learn quickly. Good luck! You're an awesome Mom! Also, thank you for your sweet text when we had Berlin. I really appreciated your kind words - Barrett

Jenny said...

You are such a good Mom!! My kids (and husband) have been begging for a dog for months, and I just can't give in!! Maybe I will just send them to your house to play!! Love ya Jenny Peay

Rachel said...

I understand the "not a dog person" mentality! It's kept me from getting a dog, even though I know my boys need it to get over their FEAR! Good luck! I'm sure you'll fall in love soon enough!